7.16.2012

Inland Empire

"I figured one day I'd just wake up and and find out what the hell yesterday was all about. I'm not too keen on thinkin' about tommorow. And today's slipping by."


I decided out of boredom to combine two of my most indulged past time together. So I am basically going to start stalking and raping people now. Kidding. I am actually going to combine writing and my love for strange and mindfucking films together. Although this decision has yet to be cemented yet.I guess I'll write more on  my fave films here as well as my other mundane interests. Who knows? I could even write about stalking and raping people too.Again, that was a joke.

And off to this film. Inland Empire.Now, I've been a fan of David Lynch much sooner than I should've. I wasn't at all a true fanatic as I jumped between his films without much used of the chronological order.But I was lucky to have finally followed this method because if I had never seen Mullholand Dr. first, I wouldn't have pursued his other works such Inland Empire or Blue Velvet. And boy, is Inland Empire a gem.

     Now to formally explain what Lynch's films are about would require me to gather the very patience and energy I  don't have to come up with a research paper (which, fortunately, can be found in the web thanks to google and the many films fanatic out there), I'll just spare you the detail and summarize what the whole experience of watching Inland Empire would be like.

      Think a long exhausting,mesmerizing and confusing daydream. That and mixed with emotional rampages and traumas. Scattered visuals of both gibberish and intense memories.And you'll probably get what this beautiful film is all about.And off to the plot; well, let's just say that Lynch's latest films are barely about logic.They are more about leaving emotional impacts to viewers and leaving them awed and confused.Especially with this one.

      But if you need a synopsis to fret about then Inland Empire is basically for me the emotional/psychological/semi-spiritual journey an actress named Nikki Grace takes after a string of events that managed to stir her life into the very chaos she's in while she was preparing for a role in a said to be cursed picture. Although, I think the movie emphasize so much on what's going in her head but also confuses the viewers by mixing in all these other sub-plots in them that I think just makes the story a lot more fascinating. Of course, like most of his films, I believe Lynch wanted this to be as open ended as possible.So this film is however one wants it to be, all depending on one's interpretation.


     In my opinion, I felt as though this film was the emotional dagger that I've been looking for in the longest while.The way it was beautifully shot and the way the plot carefully alters into this tangled web of raw sentiment of being purely lost in one's psyche.I could somehow relate to the lead character even if I was at certain point, repulsed by her wickedness.But by the end of it all, I can't help but sympathize her for slipping into the damnation of her madness.But to be truthful, it wasn't until I had a 12 hours of sleep after watching the film that I came up with this opinion. This movie is like those strange dreams you had that you can't remember and make sense of, not until something triggered you.


 Well, my being overdosed of caffein triggered this whole blog post. So yeah, there you have it.I can't say if I love this film to bits or just awed by how confused and befuddled it made me.But it forever earn a spot in my collection of amazing films.



Anyway, have a great day, strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

my music

Followers